Where's Mike Now?
now where is he?
travels, thoughts, plans, photos and food

about me
present location:
The Golden Gate

archives
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
September 2002
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
November 2005
February 2006
March 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
July 2012
April 2019
July 2022

links
Lithuanian Lindy Hop
eddie's peruvian children's foundation
herrang dance camp
anne's travel gallery
skyhigh airlines
baltic travel guide
the public 8 ball
sushi academy
tom bihn bags
car talk
italian swing

interested in teaching?
teacher training options
training locations
some job adverts
the gritty, funny, painful truth

blog template design by:
:: maystar * designs ::
links open windows

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Why?
So I've regularly been asked "Why Hamburg?" and frankly, at times I can't come up with a very convincing answer. Because I'd heard a lot about it? Because I want to improve my German (this would be more convincing if I were actually working on my German but in fact, judging from the confused looks of people lately, it seems to be getting *worse*).

Because I have a few friends here and wanted to see them more? Well, perhaps, but I could have just as well done that on vacation.

Because I have family roots in Germany? Possibly, but not very convincing either.

For the food? Well, it's better than Baltic fare (tho I do miss Lithuanian fried bread, and Estonian, errr, Estonian...well, ok just the fried bread then). But German food is pretty much still meat and potatoes. And more meat. And crunchy, flaky bread rolls that leave a mess when you bite into them. Not good for long term consumption, as Renita and I found out years ago, such food simply makes you a bit fatter round the middle. (Tho being in Europe does mean I've got a steady supply of great cheeses from Italy and France, so that's something). Nah..if I go anywhere for food, it will be Italy or France.

For the dancing? Well, there is a good lindy scene here, but i'm not the dance maniac i once was, and now the lindy scene has become more of something to do now and then, a way to meet people. It was really more of a pleasant surprise to find out there's a good scene here with friendly people, but not a compelling reason to come (or stay).

Someone once said that compared to life in the USA, life in Europe just makes a lot more sense in many ways. I have to agree; things like great public transit, the fact that fewer people have (or need) cars, a lack of non-stop shopping/consumerism, a life-work balance (eg, decent amount of vacation time, and a society that generally watches out for its people (albiet while taxing the life out of them) rather then letting them fall throught the cracks, seem to make much more sense than the way these things are done in the US.

Not that it's perfect here; there are plenty of things to rail on about. The silly usage taxes on everything from TVs to (starting next year) mp3 players, antiquated labor laws that hold might just be holding back the economy, lingering racism, and my terrible cow of a former housemate, to name a few.

But why *am* I here? I'll get back to you on that...


Comments: Post a Comment