Where's Mike Now?
now where is he?
travels, thoughts, plans, photos and food

about me
present location:
The Golden Gate

archives
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
September 2002
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
November 2005
February 2006
March 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
July 2012
April 2019
July 2022

links
Lithuanian Lindy Hop
eddie's peruvian children's foundation
herrang dance camp
anne's travel gallery
skyhigh airlines
baltic travel guide
the public 8 ball
sushi academy
tom bihn bags
car talk
italian swing

interested in teaching?
teacher training options
training locations
some job adverts
the gritty, funny, painful truth

blog template design by:
:: maystar * designs ::
links open windows

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Tuesday, October 02, 2001

So, after many sleepless nights and much deliberation, I've decided to leave Italy altogether; time was running out to find another job, as were my funds. :)

As I write this I am sitting in a hotel room in Vienna, Austria, waiting to catch a flight tomorrow to Vilnius, Lithuania! I found a job at an International House school there, pretty much the same deal as in Tallinn—free apartment, permits and visas taken care of, salary about 400 USD after taxes, 25 contract hours per week, flight paid for, etc. Completely differet than anything I found in Padova. I don't know too much about Lithuania outside of what I read in Lonely Planet, but I figure it will be something like Estonia in terms of culture,climate, economy, etc.

Why am I in Austria, then? Because my connecting flight from Venice to Vienna (then to Vilnius) was late, so I missed the Vilnius connection and the airline put me up in a hotel for the night. Not a bad deal, the hotels nice, near the center, the taxi's paid for, and I even get dinner and breakfast! If only every visit to a new city could be so easy. :)

But Italy was a hard place to leave, and I've definitely had second thoughts. In fact, I probably should have given it more time. But Italy will always be there, and I am already planning to return next year. A friend is trying to get a codice fiscale for me, so I can be better prepared next time.

Which leaves me headed for Vilnius tomorrow at 1PM. I think it is already damn cold there. The weather will be a new thing for me, as I've never lived anywhere that gets regular snow. I figure if I hate it, I can always leave after Christmas when the new sessions start up. I don’t think it will be a bad experience at all, just different.


Comments: Post a Comment