Where's Mike Now?
now where is he?
travels, thoughts, plans, photos and food

about me
present location:
The Golden Gate

archives
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
September 2002
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
November 2005
February 2006
March 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
July 2012
April 2019
July 2022

links
Lithuanian Lindy Hop
eddie's peruvian children's foundation
herrang dance camp
anne's travel gallery
skyhigh airlines
baltic travel guide
the public 8 ball
sushi academy
tom bihn bags
car talk
italian swing

interested in teaching?
teacher training options
training locations
some job adverts
the gritty, funny, painful truth

blog template design by:
:: maystar * designs ::
links open windows

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, September 07, 2001

I’m living in Padova, Italy, with some other British and American teachers in a really nice apartment. It’s a bit expensive considering we’re all starting off with really low hours at the school; I wouldn’t be surprised if some of us can’t pay rent in the next month or two, and we get booted out. Oh well, there’s always Plan B—Estonia—for October or even January. (It’s ass-cold in Estonia in winter though, something like 20 below).

Work aside, Italy is a wonderful place—the food is cheap and good (things like fresh mozzarella, good cheeses, wine, pesto, real gelato, and fresh bread are staples of life here, and a hell of a lot cheaper and better than in the States). For about $2 I got a bag full of fresh mushrooms (yellow ones, perhaps chanterelles?), pear, and nectarines. Wow! So good…

The clothes are really nice too. Relatively inexpensive, and really cool. Except that tight clothing is popular with men and women. In SF, it's generally gay men who wear tight, tight shirts and very colorful clothing, especially shirts; I don't know why, it's just the fashion I guess (whereas straight men tend to favor sloppy-ass t-shirts). But here, snug, pec and bicep-hugging shirts are the norm for Italian men, at least the younger ones.

I’ve tried tracking down some Lindy Hop, and although I haven’t seen anything in person, it turns out that there’s actually a smallish crowd of dancers in Italy! They have a website: oldwoogies.com. Don’t ask me where they got the name. But judging by the pictures they are into vintage clothing/dressing up for dancing (suits for guys, Hollywoodish look for the women—but did you expect anything less stylish from Italians?)

I’ve looked for dance studios here in town,but eveything’s been shut down until recently for the regular summer holiday/it’s-too-damn-hot-let’s-flee-this-place-for-a-month escape to the mountains.